I accidentally dropped my Android in a pool of water. When I recovered it, I did the whole process to let it dry out. After 2 days, I finally tried to turn the device back on. It still worked, but the battery would no longer charge. The battery icon showed that the battery was charging, but no charging was actually taking place.
Attempt a Soft Reset
Before trying anything complex, attempt to force your device to reset by pressing and holding the “Power” and “Volume Down” buttons simultanously until the device reset. This type of reset should not delete data from the device.
if a reset didn’t do the trick, you mat need to re-seat the battery so the system can re-learn how much of a charge the battery has. Follow these steps, and they will fix this problem most of the time.
- If your device does not have a removable battery, take your device apart to access the battery and battery cable. You can use a site like iFixIt to learn how to take your device apart.
- Provide power to the device by plugging it into to a wall outlet.
- If you have a removable battery, remove the battery. If you do not have a removable battery, unplug the battery cable from the board of the device.
- Wait about 60 seconds.
- Re-insert or plug in the battery. Let it charge for at least 10 minutes.
- Power the device back on.
Hopefully the battery is now charging. If not, you may want to try to purchase a new battery. You can often find them on eBay for as little as $10.
If you’re not that handy and your device has an internal battery, your Android manufacturer should have a program where you can send the device in to have the battery replaced.
First, sorry for bad English: not my language.
I write the below info for people in same trouble, however I provid it “as is”.
Had the following trouble: phone dropped in dirty water.
After rinsing with pure water and then let it dry, I had a different trouble:
Battery would not charge because “phone too hot”. Which wasn’t the case. After searching on internet i found that the problem came from the battery itself: some circuit inside detect the temperature and it was damaged by the dirty water (or old age?).
Sadly, I couldn’t bought spare battery because too old phone. if I plugged the USB without battery, the phone would say “no battery, cannot start”. If I plugged the USB with battery the phone would say “to hot, remove USB “…
I finally managed to recover my data by dismantling the phone and providing direct power to the phone plugs that normally connects to the battery.
I would advise you to be very cautious in doing it since too high an amperage could literally burn your phone.
I provided it using a dismantled USB cable linked to a low power charger: my phone then believed it was linked to a half charged battery.
Good luck and thanks.