In Windows 7 and XP, you can set the Windows Firewall to block or unblock certain applications. Here’s how.
1. Click the Windows orb and open the Control Panel.
2. Select System and Security.
3. In the Windows Firewall section, select Allow a program through Windows Firewall.
4. Unchecking the box to the left of the application name disallows it from accessing network resources, while checking it allows access.
If the program you wish to block or unblock is not listed, you can click the Allow another program… button to add it. Choose the application in the list and select Add. If the program is not in this list, use the Browse… button to select the program file manually.
1. Click Start and open the Control Panel.
2. Select Security Center.
3. In the Manage security settings for area, select Windows Firewall.
4. Select the Exceptions tab.
5. Check an application to allow access to the network, uncheck it to block access. If the program isn’t listed, select the Add Program… button to add it to the list.