Ah, presentations. They are the bane of my existence while also being extremely helpful and awesome – all at once. I rely heavily on Google Slides for my school work (I am back in college at the ripe old age of 48 to finally finish that Bachelor’s degree!). Sharing and collaborating with other on your presentations is simple and efficient, which is what I need when I’m trying to work on a project. I am sure there are many things you could dream of to use this software for, and I love when you share your creations with me!
One thing that is not quite intuitive to do within Slides is to highlight text with color. Here’s how it’s done.
Highlighting Text From Desktop
- The first thing you should do is choose the slide within your presentation that holds text you need to highlight. With that particular slide open, use your cursor to select text as you did in Google Docs.
- Again – just like in Docs – click on the little pencil icon at the top and choose your color. Once you have done so, click outside of your slide and the color has been applied.
Highlight Text Using Android or iOS
What if you do not have your computer or laptop around but still need to highlight some text to finish or continue working on a collaboration? Easy peasy! Grab your smart phone. I’m going to give you the simple steps. However, be advised you will need to download the Google Slides app from your respective app store first. Once installed, open up your presentation and let’s DO this:
- Tap the text box on your Slide to select it.
- At the top of your screen, click on the capital letter A</strong with the tiny lines to the right of it.
- Under the “Text” tab, scroll down and choose “Highlight Color”. Pick your color and then tap the little checkmark at the top-left of your screen to save it.
- Congrats! You did it! As you will see, there are several other things you can do from this same screen to jazz up your individual Slides and entire presentation. Have fun exploring – and remember you can easily undo everything you try!
As always, I’m happy to help in any way I can. Leave me a comment or drop me an email. If the answer is too long for a comment reply, I may just write an article about it.
Samantha Jones says
I have been using google slides on my ipad to take notes in class. How can I highlight text? On my computer I am given the option to highlight and even change the color of the highlighter. Why is that not available on my ipad? I can change the text color it self but would like to be able to just highlight it.