If your Apple iPad Mini is locked up and unresponsive, then you may need to try to do a soft or hard reset on the device to get it into working order again.
Steps to Soft Reset the iPad Mini
These steps will force a restart of the device.
- Hold down the “Sleep/Wake/Power” button until the red slider appears.
- Drag the slider to turn the device off.
- Press and hold the “Sleep/Wake/Power” button until the Apple logo appears to turn the iPad Mini back on.
If the above steps don’t work, then try these steps.
- To hard reset the iPad Mini, just hold down the “Sleep/Wake” button and the “Home” at the same time for about ten seconds until the Apple logo appears. The device should then boot normally.
Steps to Hard Reset the iPad Mini
Factory Reset iPad Mini From Device
- From the Home screen, navigate to “Settings” > “General” > “Reset“.
- Tap the button labeled “Erase All Content and Settings“.
- A box will pop up to confirm, so press the “Erase” button.
- The device will restart, and when it turns back on the device will be back to factory settings and data.
Factory Reset iPad Mini From iTunes
- On the iPad, look under “Settings” > “iCloud” and ensure that “Find My iPad” is set to “Off“.
- Connect the iPad Mini to your computer and launch iTunes.
- Select the device icon, located toward the upper-left corner of the iTunes window.
- Select the “Summary” option on the left pane.
- Choose the “Restore iPad…” button.
- Choose whether you want to “Back Up” or “Don’t Back Up” your device.
- Select “Restore“.
- The iPad will then be restored. Once completed, you will have the option to “Set Up as New iPad” or “Restore From a Backup“.
Why is my “Restore iPad” button grayed out?
A sync or download may be in progress. Wait for the sync or download to finish, then see if the button lights up.
Linda McKinzie says
I purchased an ipad mini 2 at a yard sale. The battery wasn’t charged, so I charged it. Now it wants a passcode and I don’t know what to do. If you could possibly help me it would be greatly appreciated.
my daughter forgot her password on her apple mini ipad.and its still in a very good condition. i already downloaded itunes on the chromebook. but u guys keep lying my chromebook is not compatible. just like my SA21s …i don’t need all the emails and all the backup files i just need to unlock and start fresh for my baby 7 years old to watch Dharman and watch ticktoks…she misses her IPAD, i cry when she says that
This is stupidity. I had a cracked screen and my ipad mini went nuts on password screen until it locked down. I know my password, but after screen repair, cant log on, no itunes will recognize it and it wont reboot . Stupid security, mama bear apple. Gimmie my data back. .
I was in Texas this past May and I have a cousin who works with Apple products. She said that the IPad mini is outdated with no new software
Rupamita Gupta says
I need to reset my ipad mini 2 passcode to unlock the screen. I am neither able to do it thru itunes or go to the setting options on the screen.
Janet Piersma says
My iPad is 7 years old. It is having trouble loading some web pages and opening some PDFs in emails. I also cannot remember my passcode. Apple stores are closed due to Covid 19 and I don’t know how to fix my problem. This is my link to the outside world right now so I would appreciate any help you could provide
Stanley Moses says
I am trying to setup my iPad mini. I start the setup process, WIFI is accepted and all. Once I get to the activation page, I put in my Apple ID and password. It starts the activation process but instead of continuing with the setup process, it returns to the Apple logo and then I have to start all over again, and again. and again’
hi! how do you fix an iPad Mini 2 (Cellular) with “No Service” problem even with sim card installed. I’ve done the all types of reset but the problem still insist. Please, help me with this. Thank you so much!
I recently recieved an ipad mini from a friend my friend didnt say where they got it but it is locked and everytime I try to hard reset it, at first it will appear to be fixed then a screen showing that it couldnt connect to wifi pops up and retry button appears but nothing beyond that will work
In my iPad mini I forgot my password I need to rest my iPad how can I do
Rae Anne says
I’m have trouble ease my iPad because I don’t remember.y passcode
Thank you. I my iPad mini screen froze, so I used your reset techniques and it started up first time. Great know how
I can’t get it to move from…
iPad is disabled
connect to iTunes
It doesn’t allow any other screen.
I got my iPad mini from a friend and I used it for bout a year or so no problem then now I jus turned it on and it won’t let me do anything wit out the previous owners info… wat do I do????
Ed Church says
I did all of the above and all I get on my screen is the battery with the red low battery light. I have had it plugged in for more than 12 hours. Is there anther technique to be used if all else fails?
gizel Hernandez says
i need to reset my ipad mini from passcode