So, your Samsung Galaxy S9 won’t connect to your PC via a cabled USB connection? There are a few common issues people run into when trying to get their S9 to show up as an MTP device on their computer. Here are a few solutions you can try.
1. Check Cable
- Try a different cable if you can. Even some of the cables included with the device can be defective.
2. Try a Different Port
- Try connecting the USB cable to a different port on your computer.
3. Install Software
- If you’re using Windows, ensure that you have downloaded and installed the correct drivers properly. Search Samsung’s Support site for your device and make sure you are installing the right drivers for your particular version of the Galaxy phone.
- Mac users will want to try downloading and installing Android File Transfer to get their device going.
4. Try Reinstalling
Windows users who have just installed the software drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S9 may need to uninstall the device in Windows before it is detected. You can do that with the following steps.
- Hold the Windows Key and press “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.
- Type “devmgmt.msc“, then press “Enter“.
- Expand the “Other devices” section and “Portable Devices” sections.
- If there is a “SAMSUNG_Android” or “Unknown Device” listed with a (!) yellow logo, right-click it then select “Uninstall“.
- Right-click anywhere on the Device Manager window and select “Scan for hardware changes“. Hopefully the device is detected.
Do you have other problems besides drivers or cables causing your issue? Please share your experience in the comments section.
This tutorial applies to the Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ models G960U and G965U.
Thanks for this post, however, phone remains unrecognized. never had this issue before.
I tried a blue tooth connection but get the same issue, device gets connected but for file sharing to no avail.
really annoying samsung, even unworkable!
Carla A Howell says
My phone (S9) used to work fine when I plugged a USB cord from it to my PC. In File Explorer, it shows up as a device. But now when I plug it in, it charges, but File Explorer won’t recognize it anymore. I tried 3 different cables and 3 different ports (one of which I tested and it works with my thumb drive). Nothing works.
My Samsung S9+ wont show storage on my pc…all it does is charge l tried changing it from charge when usb connected to mtp storage files but didn’t work…also if l put it in download mode trying to use Odin it doesn’t show
I’ve tried it all and it’s still doing the same thing. Connecting and disconnecting every second.
it should mention that option-0 is to check your phone.
It has a pop-up message to ask for permission to access phone. Just select “Allow”, then phone device becomes visiable
I got it to connect after using a USB-C port instead of USB. I think the issue is that a USB port can’t provide enough power.
Plugging into a different port did the trick for me, Thanks! :-)
Elizabeth A. Jodry says
When I plugged my phone in, I got a popup indicating the software was installed successfully. But when I checked the Program List, it wasn’t there, I followed the instructions above to locate my Verizon Galaxy S9 drivers and was confused. There were no “drivers” listed. Only software, manuals, quickstart guide and legal. No “Drivers.” I hoped that “Software” was the right thing and the download list confirmed it. Please update your instructions. BUT, the process still did not work. Then I looked at my phone, which was dark and had not lit up. I awakened the screen and saw that there was a box asking me to “allow” or “deny” access. Once I hit “Allow,” all worked.
I already did all that. Sitill doesn´t show up.
Same as Jude….
my S9+ wont show up as phone but a removable disk instead
My device manager identifies it as an “MTP USB Device” and it doesn’t show up in the file explorer even after following all instructions