Some users of the Android OS are experiencing problems when they try to add accounts to their phones. They get an error:
Can’t establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care.
Here are some things you can try to get things working right.
Try Another Data Connection
Attempt to connect to a different network and see if that clears up the problem. For example, if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, try connecting to the mobile network instead and vice verse. Some users have reported fixing this problem by simply resetting their wireless router.
Check Date & Time
The date and time must be accurate for things to work. Wait for your wireless carrier to update the time automatically, or set it manually under “Settings” > “Date & time“.
Reset Google Apps
Sometimes, simply clearing Google Apps resets things just right.
- Go to “Settings” > “Applications” > “Manage applications” > “Google Apps“, then tap the “Clear data” button.
- Go to the Home screen.
- Select “Settings” > “Data synchronization” > “Google“.
- Enter your Google credentials.
Use YouTube as a Workaround
- Open the YouTube app.
- Press “Menu“.
- Tap My account.
- Tap Add account.
- Take the account information that you are having problems with and add it to YouTube.
- Press Home to return to the main screen.
- Press Menu and go to Settings.
- Tap Accounts & Sync.
- Select the new account and set the sync settings as desired.
Now everything should work as intended.