Set the default media player to automatically play video or audio files in MacOS with these steps.
In MacOS, there isn’t a main place in the OS where you can set a default application to open media files. However, you can set the default for specific file types.
- Open a folder that contains media files that are m4a, mp3, avi, mpg, or any other media file type.
- Hold the “Control” key and select a file you wish to open with an application by default. You could also right-click the file.
- Choose “Get Info“.
- Expand the “Open with” section.
- In the drop-down menu, select the application you wish to use to open the type of file you selected.
- Select the “Change All…” button.
- Select “Continue” to confirm that you want to open all of these types of files with the selected application.