Easily copy the music from your Apple iTunes music library between computers by enabling the Home Sharing feature using this tutorial.
Note: This tutorial is geared toward iTunes version 12.9.
>> Perform these steps on all computers you wish to share music with. <<
- Ensure the latest version of iTunes is installed on both computers.
- Select “File” > “Home Sharing” > “Turn On Home Sharing“.
- If prompted for a username and password, enter your Apple Store credentials.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 for any other computers you wish to share music between. Ensure all computers are connected to the same network.
- Click “Edit” > “Preferences“.
- Select the “Sharing” tab.
- Check “Share my library on my local network” to share your entire library. Optionally, you could select “Share selected playlists“, then check individual playlists if you wish to limit sharing. You can also require a password for access to the library allow play counts to be updated through sharing usage.
- Select the drop-down menu located in the upper-left corner of the iTunes window, then choose the music library you would like to access.
- Copy any music from a shared library by dragging it left. A sidebar will appear as you drag, where you can drop it into your local library.
Me too. Has anyone solved this?
Even Samuel Perrson’s updated suggestion doesn’t work… maybe iTunes needs to be replaced!
Samuel Persson says
If the above doesn’t work try this instead.
Follow steps above including 8.
9. In bottom left select Show: all objects not included in my library
10. Display the album you would like to move
11. In the upper right corner elect the three dots in the blue circle and then select import
I run a Swedish version of iTunes so I am not sure about the exact words on the US version of iTunes, but you will figure it out!
Jason Gilman says
I tried this exactly and nothing happens. The tracks don’t move. When I try copying, there is nothing to paste. I’ve tried moving tracks in my library to the shared library on my machine. I tried moving tracks from my shared library to the computer’s library. Nothing. Home sharing is on. I tried it with two different Apple IDs, the same Apple ID, and without the machine I’m copying to being signed in at all in iTunes.
Richard Rene says
no, i do these steps exactly with both pc’s having the same version of itunes 126.96.36.199 and it still doesn’t work.. We can see the shared libraries but the dragging left part does not do anything.
No sidebar appears from the local machine…nothing happens