Sometimes the Apple iPad will freeze up and appear to be dead and only show a black screen. The screen is sometime accompanied with a spinning wheel. Usually you can fix this issue by resetting the device using these steps.
Fix 1 – Force Reset
On newer devices press the “Volume Down” and “Home” buttons together. The device should power down. You may have to try it a few times to get it to work. You may also have to press and hold both buttons down for about 20 seconds.
For older devices, press and hold the “Power” and “Home” buttons simultaneously for about 15 seconds.
The device should then show the Apple logo and restart.
Fix 2 – Restore
If the above steps don’t work, try the following:
- From a computer, go to the iCould website.
- Select “Find iPhone” > “Devices” > your iPhone > “Remove From Account“.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using the USB cable, then start iTunes.
- Select the iPhone icon in iTunes, located in the upper-right corner.
- Select “Summary” > “Restore iPhone…“.
- Follow the steps to restore your iPhone.
These steps work most of the time. If the device still won’t respond after these steps, you may need to seek service from Apple.