Samsung phone and tablet users are often served with exclusive features for their devices. Among these features is Samsung Flow. Samsung Flow connects your smartphone or tablet seamlessly and securely to your Windows PC.
By connecting these devices, you can:
- Implement a more straightforward authentication process.
- Conduct file sharing between two devices.
- Stream phone content to a larger screen
- Sync notifications.
There are not many requirements needed in order to enjoy the benefits of Samsung Flow. All you need is a modern Samsung Galaxy smartphone or tablet, and a PC running Windows 10. Here is a complete list of the prerequisites.
- A Samsung smartphone running an Android Marshmallow OS (6.0) or higher will do. The S6 series, Note 5, A5, and A7 are some older Samsung smartphone models that are still supported. Newer Samsung smartphone models are generally compatible with Samsung Flow, but it is best to double-check.
- For the Samsung Galaxy tablet, the OS it runs on needs to be Android Nougat (7.0) or newer. Galaxy Tab A 10.5, Tab S2, and Tab Active 2 are some examples.
- You need to have a PC running Windows 10 OS with Creators Update installed. If you have an up-to-date version of Windows 10, you have nothing to worry about. If not, check your version of Windows. To do so, press the Windows key on your keyboard. Then type “about your PC” to open up the “About” window. After that, look for the OS version.
Start Using Samsung Flow
To start using Samsung Flow, there are some preliminary steps you need to take.
Download the Software
First, you need to download and install Samsung Flow software for both your smartphone or tablet and PC. For smartphones and tablets, go to Play Store to download the app. For PCs, install it from the Microsoft Store. If any prompt appears requesting your permission to install the app or other components, follow through.
Pair Both Devices
Once the apps are installed successfully, we need to connect both devices.
- Open up the app on both your PC and smartphone/tablet.
- On your PC, select your phone name from the list to register. To connect the devices, you need to use either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connection. When using Wi-Fi, keep in mind that both the PC and smartphone/tablet need to connect to the same router—the same Wi-Fi source.
- Afterward, the app will generate a passcode to facilitate connection authentication. Enter the appropriate passcode on your smartphone.
Samsung Flow Features
Now that you’ve paired your devices you can start using Samsung Flow. Here’s a list of all of the things you can do with the tool.
Simplify PC Log-in Process with Simple Unlock
With Simple Unlock, you can bypass the need to enter a password every time you log-in to your PC. This is what you need to do to enable the feature:
- From your smartphone’s Samsung Flow app, go to More then select Manage Devices.
- Pick the device (PC) you want to change the setting for.
- Enable the Unlocked phone (Simple unlock) feature.
When your phone is near the logged-out or “sleeping” PC, simply unlock your phone to wake up the PC as well. In doing this, you also automatically log-in to your PC. On a side note, you can opt to use biometrics, e.g., fingerprint, to verify your identity. Explore your options!
Content Sharing Using Handover
Handover allows both of your devices to ‘hand over’ files to each other. To use this feature on the smartphone or tablet, simply select Samsung Flow as the sharing app when you pick the files you want to deliver. If you wish to transfer files from your PC to the Android device instead, drag and drop the desired files into the Samsung Flow app.
This feature will let you simultaneously view notifications on your PC that appear on your Android device. The notifications will appear as native Windows 10 alerts at the bottom-right of your PC screen. Additionally, should a text message come into your smartphone, you can reply to it directly from the PC.
You can view or stream your smartphone’s content into the PC’s larger screen with Smart View. To enable it, click the ‘Smart View’ icon located at the top of the Samsung Flow app on PC.
Another feature is the Auto Hotspot Link. With this, you can easily use your phone’s mobile hotspot to access the internet through the PC.
- To use it, disconnect your PC’s internet from any other data connection.
- A pop-up window will appear asking if you wish to use the Mobile hotspot.
- Turn the Hotspot link on or off using the Hotspot Link icon at the top of the Samsung Flow app on PC.
Why not add an extra level of convenience to your technological experience by installing Samsung Flow? With easy file exchange, PC to smartphone/tablet syncing, and a reliable brand name behind it, the app only goes to show users why being a Samsung customer is one of the best kind of customers to be!
Robert Freund says
This app is frustrating to say the least. There is no clear explanation of the operation, file selection, file deletion file transfer, The only thing that makes it even slightly useful is the other Samsung App DEX which is even more useless.
Unlocking Windows 10 feature has been removed from Samsung Flow. This was the only true reason for using it.
Tee Hearl says
The file is in Samsung flow on my phone. How do I move it to a different directory?
Malcolm Alexander says
7 10.4 to the galaxy A5(2017 I have. Also have Windows 7 PC. Can I use Galaxy flow for individual photo or items transfers to the Tablet as well as individual files?