Are you using apps on Android to watch your favorite movies, shows, or music videos? Why not watch them on your Xbox instead? One of the benefits of having an Xbox gaming console, aside from playing games, is video streaming.
Xbox manufacturer, Microsoft, partnered with Miracast nearly five years ago to enable Android users to cast or stream videos from their smart devices to the gaming console.
Why Stream Videos Directly from Android to Xbox?
Xbox consoles are more than gaming machines. They are a complete media hub for all your entertainment needs. Access services on your Xbox like Netflix, IMDb, or Amazon Prime through the connectivity of your Android smartphone.
Streaming media through Xbox also beats having to mirror your phone directly onto a smart TV screen. Once connected, you can play videos in your Android’s gallery and transfer content straight from your Android device to your Xbox.
What is Xbox DLNA?
A Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is the technical support system that auto-searches for devices with which to connect your Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Xbox Video must be installed to use DNLA with your Android device for streaming. With DLNA, your Xbox recognizes your Android video files and applies the appropriate app to render them for the TV screen.
Android Smartphone Requirements
To make streaming connections with your Xbox, you will need to download one or more of the following applications to your Android smartphone: iMediaShare, AllCast, YouTube, or AirSync with free doubleTWIST.
This app is available to download for free and comes with the ultimate remote video playback and switching features for Xbox streaming. A simplified and user-friendly Android app, iMediaShare is configurable with your console and smartphone.
- To use iMediaShare, first, connect both your Android and Xbox to the same Wi-Fi network. You can also use your smartphone hotspot.
- Open iMediaShare’s dashboard and select your smartphone icon. This will auto-detect nearby devices, including your Xbox console.
- A connection will be created once you select Xbox streaming, allowing you to share videos directly from your Android device.
AllCast is useful for streaming videos from your Android smartphone to other devices, including smart TVs and Xbox One or 360 consoles. It’s free to download from the PlayStore and integrates fully with Xbox Music or Xbox Video.
- To set up your Xbox for compliance with AllCast streaming, select your console’s settings and allow Enable Play To.
- Scroll down the menu and enable DNLA Proxy as well.
- On your Android device, open AllCast and search for nearby devices, one of which will be your Xbox. Pair the console with your smartphone and start streaming videos to your screen.
You can’t play any games on your console when using AllCast to stream.
YouTube is Google’s most versatile video app and comes with built-in Android streaming support. Your Android device may already have YouTube installed, so you can start sharing online videos to your console right away.
If you can’t find YouTube on your Android smartphone or tablet, download the app for free from the PlayStore.
- Connect your Android device and Xbox console on the same network.
- Open the YouTube app on your smartphone and select the Cast option.
- On your Xbox console, go to the YouTube app and sign in.
- Select settings and enable Pair Device.
- Your Android device’s YouTube app will present a TV screen icon, which will turn blue when the pairing is complete.
- Start streaming content directly from your Android to the Xbox screen.
AirSync/doubleTWIST iTunes Sync & AirPlay for Android
If you are using either an Apple TV or iTunes to play media from your Xbox, streaming with an Android device can be a bit tricky.
Though not free, AirSync is available from the PlayStore. You will also need your Xbox and Android smartphone sharing the same network for seamless streaming.
- On your Android, enable File Sharing or Open Nearby Devices. Some devices may require that you grant permission to share media.
- Download AirSync. AirSync comes with the free doubleTWIST Podcast and Music Player.
- Enable the app on your console, by selecting AirTwist and AirPlay to enable streaming.
- On your Android phone, you can use the free doubleTWIST app to stream your playlist via the Xbox console.
- When streaming is enabled, the app generates a pop-up that requests streaming permission over the current network. Tap the DoubleTwist Cast icon to enable the app on your Apple TV, selecting Xbox as the output device.
Your TV screen may appear blank for a while before starting its stream. This is normal.
Connect, Device, Play
Xbox consoles offer advanced pairing technology so you can stream online content using your Android device as the remote control. Though some third-party apps may be involved, no cables are necessary to make a streaming connection.
Cheryl Williams says
Do I have to use these apps to stream movies from free that is installed on my android tablet