If you often use the same route, it’s very convenient to save it on Google Maps. But the steps to follow are not that obvious. That’s why we created this guide.
Methods to Save Routes on Google Maps
- Launch the Google Maps app
- Enter the destination and then select Directions
- Select how you want to travel (by car, by foot, by public transportation)
- Tap the app menu and select Add route to Home screen
- The app will generate a widget that you can place on your home screen.
⇒ Tip: It’s possible to create a folder with the routes you saved.
My Maps is a nifty Google Maps feature that lets you create multiple destination routes. You can then use the routes you saved with the Google Maps Android app as well.
- Launch Google My Maps in your browser
- Select Create a new map, and name it
- Select Add directions, and then enter your destinations
- You can select the Add Destination option to add multiple destinations
- Open the Google Maps app after you created the route, and navigate to Your places
- Select Map, and tap the route you created to use it for navigation.
And this is how you can create and save customized routes on Google Maps.
Measure distances between places
Another useful feature in Google Maps is the option to measure distances and areas. You can use this feature to plan your fuel consumption if you’re traveling by car, for example.
Click where you want to start the measurement, and move the mouse cursor to the destination. The distance will be highlighted in blue.
Customize your route
You can further customize your route using the Route options.
On Android, tap Directions, then More, and then Route options. You can choose to avoid tolls and highways, for example.
If you’re setting your route on PC, select Directions, and then Options.
Tick the checkboxes for tolls or highways to avoid these areas.
And this is how you can customize your route.
I was able to create my destinations and stops/waypoints thinking that I can use this to navigate my route but I don’t know how to make google map gove me a “Start” button! This is useless.
How do we do this on a iOS device? I miss this feature after I swapped to a iOS device.
This works great, I made two routes with dozens of stops and I saved these on my home page and one click and I have what I need. I delivered dry cleaning all over the city and this has shortened my time. It does work if you know how.
ian parsons says
Great piece here but there is no way to then get going.I mean you can only see the places you need to visit but no way to start the trip
jeff, you cant, you can only save the list of directions for some reason Google doesn’t allow this saved route to be inserted into the navigation side. its ridiculous.
NO – now that i saved my “directions” how do i start my trip with directions on my phone?