Do you have an Amazon Fire and wish to install the Google Chrome web browser on it? Learn how to install Google Chrome via APK file.
There is no harm in wanting to use Google Chrome as your web browser. Especially if you use it for browsing the internet on your computer and smartphone, no wonder you would like to have the same experience on your Amazon Fire device.
Unfortunately, Amazon makes it a bit difficult for you to install other browsers on tablets. You won’t even find any web browsers in the Amazon Appstore. The objective is to force you to use their pre-installed Silk browser.
The good news is this strategy didn’t stop Fire users from using Chrome. They’ve come across techniques for installing Google Chrome on Fire, which is by downloading the APK files. If you want to know how to install Google Chrome via APK file. continue reading.
Prerequisites of Google Chrome Installation
Before you go to the actual steps to install the APK file, some tweaking is needed on your Fire device settings.
From the Fire, go to:
- HD8, HD10, or Later – Home > Settings > Security (Security & Privacy) > Apps from Unknown Sources > On.
- HD6 – Apps > Settings > Applications > Apps From Unknown Sources > On.
- Kindle Fire 1 & 2 – Settings > More > Device > Allow Installation of Applications > On.
How to Install Google Chrome Via APK File on Kindle
Fortunately, there are various third-party websites that allow you to download Chrome APK files without having to access Google Play Store. You can visit these websites from your Kindle device and follow these steps to start using Chrome on your Amazon Fire in no time.
- Open the Silk browser on your Amazon Fire device.
- Paste this URL on the Silk browser address bar to download a Google Chrome APK.
- A list of Google Chrome versions will appear.
- Click on the Download icon of the version that you want to download.
- The APK file will get downloaded to your tablet.
- Open that APK file on the Kindle device to install it.
- Tap Next to go through the list of app access, and finally, tap on Install.
Wait until you get the notification for installation completion. The Chrome browser should get installed and available for use on your Amazon Fire tablet.
How to Install Google Chrome Via APK File From PC
If you want, you can also download this APK file on your computer and then transfer that to your Amazon Fire device for installation. Since there are quite a number of steps, I’m going to discuss that in three segments.
Download the Chrome APK File
- From your computer web browser, go to the Google Chrome app page on APKMirror.
- There will be a list of Chrome versions but download the preferred version only.
- After the download, save the APK file on the desktop for easy transfer.
Move Google Chrome APK From Computer to Amazon Fire
- Connect the Amazon Fire and the PC with a USB or OTG cable.
- Once connected, check the notification section on your Kindle device.
- Tap twice on the notification about the USB connection.
- For USB Preferences, tap on the File transfer option to move your Chome APK from PC to Kindle.
- Now, navigate to This PC of the connected computer.
- Double-click on the Kindle device name listed there.
- The Internal Storage will be visible. Double-click on it again.
- From a list of folders, open Download.
- Drag and drop the Google Chrome APK file from the desktop location to the Download folder for effortless copying.
- Disconnect the connection between Amazon Fire and the computer.
Install Chrome APK on Amazon Fire
- Go to the Downloads of your Amazon Fire tablet.
- Find the transferred Chrome APK file at that location.
- Initiate the Chrome APK installation by tapping on that APK.
- Google Chrome will get installed in a while.
FAQs on How to Install Google Chrome Via APK File
Why Is the Install button grayed out?
Amazon released an update that does this sometimes. You can usually get around it by pressing the square button next to the circle home button. Then go back to the install screen. Doing that will light up the Install button.
Some people say that using the “Back” button instead of the square and then returning to the install screen works to light up the Install button.
Will This Work on Any Version of the Amazon Fire?
Yes. It will work on the original Fire, as well as the HD and HDX models. Though if you have an older device, you may want to download an older version of Chrome as newer versions may not be as stable.
Can I Trust This APKMirror Website?
The site is run by the folks who created AndroidPolice. They are generally trusted by the Android community.
Will Chrome Update Automatically When New Versions Come Out?
No. You will have to manually check the APKMirror website for updates and install them yourself.
Chrome Crashes When I Try to Sign In. Why Can’t I Sign Into Google Chrome on My Fire?
Unfortunately, this will be a problem without a workaround. You won’t be able to sign into Chrome using your Google account, so you can sync all your stuff. However, you can still use the Chrome browser without signing in.
Google Chrome is one of the most popular web browsers in the world that comes with a range of unique and useful features. Unfortunately, Google Chrome isn’t available to Amazon Kindle users by default.
If you still want to use Chrome on your Amazon Fire device, you can install Google Chrome via APK file. Just follow the methods described above and have Chrome on your Kindle without any hassle. If you face any issues during installation, mention that in the comment section.
Share this post with your friends and colleagues so that they can make the most of this article. Also, read how to download and install apps on Amazon Fire tablet.