When trying to set a default printer in Microsoft Windows, you may encounter an error that says:
Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709). Double click the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network.
Another possible error when setting the default printers is:
Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000005). Access is denied.
To solve this problem, try the following.
- Hold the Windows Key and press “R” to bring up the Run window.
- Type “regedit“, then press “Enter” to bring up the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following location:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Windows
- Right-click on the “Windows” folder, then choose “Permissions…“
- Highlight “Administrators“, then check the “Full Control” box, then click “OK“.
- Highlight your username, then check the “Full Control” box, then click “OK“.
- Delete the following registry values if they exist:
- Try to set your default printer again. Hopefully this time it works!