The thumbnail size in Microsoft Windows 10 was too small for me. I would have to open each file just to make out what the heck the photo was. I was pleased to discover that you can change the default size of image thumbnails to and make them larger or smaller. You can do this from the Windows menus or via the registry.
Option 1 – Keyboard + Mouse Shortcut
While viewing the photos in a window, hold the “CTRL” key and scroll the wheel on your mouse to enlarge or decrease the size of the icons.
- Select “Start” and open “File Explorer“.
- Select the “View” tab.
- Select the desired setting. “Extra Large Icons“, “Large Icons“, “Medium Icons” or “Small Icons“.
Registry Hack Method
- Hold down the “Windows key” and press “R“.
- Type “regedit” and click “OK“.
- Navigate to the following location in the registry.
- Look for an entry on the right side for “ThumbnailSize“. If you can’t find it, then right-click on “Explorer” and select “New” > “DWORD Value” and type “ThumbnailSize” for the name and press “Enter“.
- Double click “ThumbnailSize” and set the value to a number between “32” and “256“. The higher the number, the larger the image thumbnails.
- Close the registry editor and you’re ready to view your photo thumbnails in the size you wish.
I don’t have the options for icon sizes on my Windows computer. Why?
It should have it. Make sure you aren’t viewing the photos in a different application or viewing the photos in a compressed ZIP or RAR file. The photos need to be extracted first.
Why is my computer not showing me thumbnails for photos at all?
Thumbnail preview may be disabled. Open “Control Panel” > “Folder Options” > “View” and ensure that “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked.