Your keyboard may sometimes type a double space instead of a single space. This issue usually affects all the programs running on your computer. What’s worse is that Office apps, such as Word, pick up the double space as a grammar error. Let’s discuss why this glitch occurs and how you can fix it.
How Do I Stop My Keyboard From Double Spacing?
- Use the on-screen keyboard. Usually, the virtual keyboard is not affected by the same glitches that are plaguing your physical keyboard.
- Restart your computer. A simple restart can work wonders. If your machine did not boot up correctly, restarting it should fix the problem.
- Clean your keyboard. Check if debris is lodged under the space bar. Use a can of compressed air to remove debris or specks of dust from under the space bar.
- Use a different keyboard. Maybe your keyboard is faulty. Check if the problem persists with a different keyboard.
- Run a full system antivirus scan. Malware can change your keyboard behavior. Generally speaking, malicious code often does more than simply forcing your keyboard to type a double space.
- Check your keyboard settings.
- Go to Control Panel, and select Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on your keyboard and select Keyboard settings. If you’re using your laptop’s built-in keyboard, right-click on your laptop and select Keyboard settings.
- Change the Repeat delay settings to Long.
- Run the Keyboard troubleshooter.
- Go to Control Panel, select Hardware and Sound, and type “troubleshooting” in the search field.
- Scroll down to the Keyboard troubleshooter. Launch the tool and check the results.
- Update your keyboard drivers.
- Launch the Device Manager, and click on Keyboards.
- Right-click on your keyboard and select Update driver.
- Restart your computer.
- If the issue persists, uninstall the keyboard driver, and restart your computer.
How to Fix Double Spacing Between Words in Word
If you want to quickly fix the double spacing problem in Microsoft Word, you can use the built-in Find and Replace tool. For step-by-step instructions, see Microsoft Word: Remove Extra Spaces Between Words.
If your keyboard is double spacing, restart your computer and clean your keyboard. Then, check your keyboard settings, and run the Keyboard troubleshooter. If the issue persists, use a different keyboard and check the results. Did you manage to troubleshoot the problem? Let us know in the comments below.