Many Chromebook users complained they were unable to delete images from their laptops. Therefore, Restarting the device rarely helps. Sometimes, the “Delete” option is greyed out and unselectable. If you’re struggling to remove stubborn images from your ChromeOS laptop, pursue the troubleshooting steps below.
Why Can’t I Delete Images from My Chromebook?
Delete Images from the Folder Where They’re Saved
You need to delete the stubborn images outside of the Images folder. In other words, you need to go straight to the actual folder where your images are saved. For example, instead of browsing the Images folder, go to the Downloads folder.
Go to Files, and under My Files, click on Downloads.
Or maybe you saved your images in the Documents folder. The name of the folder doesn’t really matter. The idea is to delete the pictures from the folder where you initially downloaded them into. Simply select the images you want to remove, and the “Delete” option should be clickable.
Essential things to keep in mind:
- Deleting images and other files from your Downloads folder is permanent. There’s no way you can undo the action.
- Images and files available in the Recent, Images, Videos, and Audio folders are read-only on ChromeOS. That’s why you can’t delete them directly from those folders.
⇒ Quick Tip: To better organize and navigate your folders, you can install a file explorer tool from the Play Store.
Delete Images Using Android Management
Alternatively, you can use Android Management to remove stubborn images if you also have an Android phone.
- Go to Settings and scroll down to Device.
- Then select Storage Management.
- Go to Android Management.
- Select the files you want to delete. You can also filter them based on the file type.
- After that, select the files and storage location, and select Recent.
- Simply delete the files.
- If your files have been successfully deleted, they should no longer appear under the “Read Only” tab.
To delete images and other types of files from your Chromebook, you need to remove them from the folder where you downloaded them into. The files and images listed under the Recent and Images folders are read-only. That’s why the “Delete” button is greyed out and unclickable. Did this quick guide answer your questions? Let us know in the comments below.