WhatsApp is a messaging and voice over IP application that enables users to send text messages, record and send voice and video messages, and make voice and video calls. You can also create customized statuses visible to contacts for 24 hours.
WhatsApp is currently the most widely-used messaging platform, with over 2 billion active users. It has steadily increased its features since Facebook acquired it in 2014. In most countries, WhatsApp is the primary medium of digital communication.
The popularity of WhatsApp and its ease of use have fuelled efforts by Facebook to include business features into the application. WhatsApp Business allows businesses to use the app to reach their customers on the WhatsApp platform. In some countries, WhatsApp is offering payment options through the application.
However, one of WhatsApp’s best features is its group feature. Similar to chat rooms, members of the group can instantly share messages with everyone involved. WhatsApp groups have become very popular and are common in schools, workplaces, and all forms of social activities. It is easy-to-use and oftentimes the preferred way to keep coworkers connected, even over apps like Slack.
Start A WhatsApp Group And Import Contacts
If you use WhatsApp regularly and want to stay connected with everyone in your contacts, it is important to know how to create a group. A WhatsApp group has the following features:
- You can add up to 256 members to a group. WhatsApp may limit you in your group members, unlike Telegram which is unlimited, but 256 is a pretty sizeable amount.
- Anyone who uses WhatsApp can join the group, even if they are not in your contact list. However, those who are not on your contact list will have to join using an invite link that you can share with them.
To start a group on WhatsApp, follow the steps below.
You need to have WhatsApp installed on your mobile phone before you can use its services.
- If you don’t already have WhatsApp installed, visit Google PlayStore on your mobile device and search for WhatsApp. Download and install.
- Upon installation, WhatsApp will ask you to verify your phone number.
- After the phone number verification, if you already have an account registered with that phone number, the account will now be activated on your mobile device. If no account is already registered with the phone number, then WhatsApp will register you as a new user.
- On your mobile phone, tap on the WhatsApp icon to launch the app. It will open to the Home page which shows you your recent chats.
At the top of the page, there is a ribbon with tabs: Chats, Status, and Calls.
- Above the tabs, at the top right of the page, there are three vertical dots.
- Click on the dots to open a pop-out.
Once the pop-out appears:
- Click on New group. The New group page will display your phone contacts who are registered on WhatsApp.
- At the top of the page, find Add participants. Add the participants you want in the group.
- To add a participant, tap on the contact.
- You will see that the contact added has an “X” attached to it. If you change your mind and want to remove a contact you have already clicked, you can tap the marked contact again or you can click on the “X.” The contact will be removed from your selection.
After selecting all the contacts you want to add to the group, click on the right-pointing arrow in the bottom right-hand corner.
The next page will load requesting you to provide a group subject and an optional group icon.
- On the space provided, type the name of the group.
- To add an icon, tap on the camera icon beside the space where you typed the group name. It will open your gallery. From the gallery, you can select the image of your choice.
- Tap on the green circular icon with a mark inside.
- You have now created the group and it will open with a message telling participants that you created a group.
You have successfully created a WhatsApp group and added your contacts. Go ahead and start engaging your members!