If you begin to experience major problems with your Google Nexus 5X, or if you plan to sell it, you’ll likely want to reset the phone. Follow this guide to get it done.
How to Restart the Device
The first step in any troubleshooting process is simply forcing the device to restart, especially if it’s just simply locked up and won’t respond.
To force the device to restart, just hold down the “Power” and “Volume Down” buttons for around eight to fifteen seconds. This should turn the device off completely, allowing you to turn it back on. This will not erase data from the device.
Hard Reset from the Phone Menu
These steps will erase data from the phone and set it back to factory defaults.
- Select “Apps” and go to “Settings“.
- Tap “Backup & Reset“.
- Tap “Factory Data Reset“.
- Select the “Reset Phone” button.
- Select “Erase Everything” to confirm.
The device will power off and come back on, requiring you to go through the initial setup.
Hard Reset From Recovery Menu
- First make sure that the device is powered off completely.
- Press and hold “Volume Down” button while holding the “Power” button to turn the device on.
- When the phone vibrates, let go of both buttons and you’ll be presented with the bootloader menu.
- Use the volume buttons to toggle to the “Recovery mode” selection.
- Press “Power” and “Volume Up“. Release “Volume Up” after 3 seconds, but continue to hold “Power“.
- Continue to hold “Power” until you see the Android Recovery menu, characterized with an Android lying on its back.
- Press “Volume Down” till you highlight “Wipe Data/Factory Reset“. Press the “Power” to select this option.
- Press “Volume Down” till you highlight “Yes – Delete All User Data“. Press the “Power” to select this option.
- When the device comes back up, you’ll be presented with one more menu with “Reboot System Now” selected, press the “Power” button to confirm
The device will power off and come back on one more time, and you’ll be presented with the initial device setup.
Whichever method you chose to reset your Google Nexus 5X smartphone, let us know how it went in the comments below.
My Nexus 5X is stuck in a bootloop. What do I do?
It’s a common problem. I recommend you try the bootloop fix posted at XDA.