Google Chrome will open PDF files in a Chrome browser window. If you would rather open a PDF in Adobe Reader, you can follow these steps.
- Ensure that Adobe Reader is installed on the computer.
- Type “chrome://plugins” in the address bar then press “Enter“.
- Find “Adobe Reader” or “Chrome PDF Viewer“, and select the “Disable” link for any of these that may be listed.
PDF files will download in Chrome just like any other file. You can select the downloaded file at the bottom of the window, then choose “Open”, then the file will open in a separate Reader window. Select the “Always open files of this type” option.
If files open in a different application, you may have to change a setting in Adobe Reader.
Note: These instructions apply to version Adobe Reader DC and version 11.
- Open Adobe Reader, then select “Edit” > “Preferences“.
- Select “General“
- Choose the “Select Default PDF Handler” button.
- Choose the reader application in the drop-down menu, then select “Apply
- Let Windows do its thing, then restart the computer.