Whether you’re looking for a NAS for your home or office, check out this list of the best NAS storage devices.
If you’re looking for a data storage and backup solution other than a cloud server, you could go for NAS storage devices. It lets you create a personal cloud for data storage and backup. As you can connect to the device using your home network, the data can be accessed seamlessly.
Choosing the right NAS storage for your needs could be difficult. To help you, here is the list of the best NAS storage devices available in the market. Here, you’ll find Windows and macOS-supported NAS that can be used for personal and professional purposes.
What Is NAS Storage?
NAS stands for network-attached storage. It’s a data storage device that you need to connect and access using a network in place of a direct connection to a computer. NAS devices have an operating system and a processor to run applications and allow files to be accessed by authorized network users and clients.
Since these devices are flexible and scalable, you can add additional storage here if needed. You can also consider it a private cloud facility for your office which is faster, cost-effective, and provides you with complete control.
Data stored in a NAS device can be seamlessly accessed. Hence, multiple users can collaborate and promptly respond to any query. It functions like a private cloud where team members can use a network connection to access the files and work from anywhere.
Also read: What Is NVMe Over TCP (NVMe/TCP)
Best All-Purpose NAS Storage
WD PR4100 Network Attached Storage
WD PR4100 Network Attached Storage is an efficient NAS server in the market. It functions as a centralized storage where you can store and organize your media files and, thus, enables your team to have an improved workflow. If you’re looking for a NAS server with Plex support, this is the right one for you.
- Intel Pentium Quad-Core Processor (1.6GHz)
- 4 GB DDR3L Memory for powerful performance
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Password protection for the comprehensive security
- My Cloud OS 3, which is super-fast and easy to set up
- Device Manager
- Price: $1,299.99 (check the current price on Amazon)
Also read: What Is a Disk Server?
Synology NAS DiskStation DS220+
Synology NAS DiskStation DS220+ is a robust NAS storage device with enhanced performance capability. As you use it, you will experience a quicker data response time and a 15% performance boost on average in computing-intensive operations and photo indexing.
- Dual 1GbE LAN ports for network failover
- Compatible only with SATA devices
- 2 GB DDR4 memory that can be expanded up to 6 GB
- Intel dual-core processor
- AES-NI hardware encryption engine
- Sequential throughput: 225 MB/s read and 192 MB/s sequential write
- RAID 1 disk mirroring to protect against accidental disk failure
- Compatible with different OS and devices for data access, sharing, and synchronization
- Price: $299.99 (check the current price on Amazon)
WD 8TB My Cloud EX2
The WD 8TB My Cloud EX2 is one of the best NAS storage for Mac. You can use this high-performance storage to store, share, stream, and sync data from anywhere. This device is also equipped with a high-performance processor for lag-free media streaming. You can also depend on this NAS device for smooth multitasking.
- 1.3 GHz dual-core Processor
- 1 GB of DDR3 Memory
- Centralized network storage for access from any place
- Seamless file and folder sharing with any linked computer
- Automatic file synchronization across the devices
- Price: $339.99 (check the current price on Amazon)
Also read: How to Map a Network Drive on a Mac
Buffalo LinkStation 210 4TB
The Buffalo LinkStation 210 4TB is another best NAS storage for home. The storage server supports Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. It comes with a hard drive and doesn’t need you to have a computer for set up. Just connect it to your router, and the NAS device is instantly ready for all your devices simultaneously.
- Store your media files without any monthly charges
- Purpose-built storage with a focus on data security
- SSL encryption for safe file transfers
- A closed system to protect against vulnerabilities of 3rd-party apps
- Comes with PC backup software for automatic data backup
- Easy-to-access central storage location
- Allow individual access to specific folders for data privacy
- Share storage space or public files with collaborators
- Price: $164.99 (check the current price on Amazon)
WD 4TB My Cloud Home Personal
The WD 4TB My Cloud Home Personal is the perfect choice for anyone who is looking for a personal home cloud.
- Quick and easy setup straight from your mobile device
- Auto backup for photos and videos taken on a phone
- Data backup support for all PC and Mac files
- Price: $169.99 (check the current price on Amazon)
Buffalo LinkStation 720 4TB
Buffalo LinkStation 720 4TB is one of the best storage for Mac that also works on PC, Android, and iOS. It also supports instant connection that doesn’t need you to use a computer for set up.
- 2.5GbE for double transfer speed
- Support data sync with OneDrive, Azure, and Dropbox for a hybrid cloud solution
- Cost-effective, flexible, and scalable NAS device
- Secure file sharing with family and friends
- Comes with a closed system that reduces vulnerabilities
- SSL encryption for file transfers
- Price: $279.99 (check the current price on Amazon)
TerraMaster F2-221 NAS Storage Plex (Diskless)
TerraMaster F2-221 Diskless Storage is a NAS server with Plex support. It comes with Apollo 2.0GHz dual-core CPU and 2 GB RAM that you can expand up to 4 GB.
- Dual 1GbE LAN ports
- AES hardware encryption engine
- Advanced Btrfs file system
- Ultra-quiet fan for intelligent temperature control
- Real-time hardware transcoding for two simultaneous 4K video streaming
- Aluminum-alloy shell for heat dissipation
- Supports 2.5″ SATA SSD and SATA HDD, along with 3.5″ SATA HDD
- Price: $259.99 (check the current price on Amazon
QNAP TS-233-US 2 Bay (Diskless)
QNAP Diskless TS-233-US 2 Bay lets you build a private cloud and multimedia center for your personal use. Features like built-in NPU for AI-powered face recognition make it one of the best NAS storage for home.
- ARM quad-core 2.0GHz processor
- 2 GB DDR4 RAM
- QNAP’s Storage Snapshot technology to protect you against ransomware
- Data backup applications included for Windows and Mac
- MyQNAPCloudfor secure access to your files from anywhere
- Centralized multimedia management to browse, organize, and share files
- Price: $199 (check the current price on Amazon)
Asustor Drivestor 2 AS1102T (Diskless)
Asustor Drivestor 2 AS1102T is another big name in the diskless NAS storage market. This device is equipped with Data Master (ADM) 4.0 OS that ensures a significant improvement in performance, security, and compatibility. It also comes with a 3-year warranty, so you don’t have to worry while using this product.
- Realtek Quad-Core CPU of 1.4 GHz
- 1 GB DDR4 for more efficiency
- 2.5-Gigabit Ethernet for double speed
- Hardware decoding for smooth media playback
- Price: $187.95 (check the current price on Amazon)
Synology NAS DiskStation DS220j (Diskless)
Synology NAS DiskStation DS220j is a diskless NAS server where you can back up and share your personal data 24/7. It’s an entry-level 2-bay NAS that you can use to store and share documents, photos, and videos.
- DiskStation Manager (DSM) for intuitive operation flow
- A flat learning curve
- On-the-go effortless access to cloud files
- Compatible with SATA HDD (2.5-inch and 3.5-inch disk holder)
- Multimedia content streaming facility with integrated server
- Support for Windows, macOS, Linux, and mobile devices
- Price: $189.99 (check the current price on Amazon)
Best NAS Storage: Final Words
If you don’t want o go into the hassle of subscribing to a private cloud server facility, you can opt for the best NAS storage for home and office use. These help you securely store and back up your system files without having to upload them to a third-party cloud server.
Here, you can have full control over your data and allow others to access and stream them using a network connection. If you’re looking for the best NAS storage for Mac or Windows, check out this curated list above.
I’ve added a variety of NAS servers here so that you can choose the one that meets your requirements. Do you know any other NAS storage device that should have been on this list? Tell us in the comments. Also, don’t forget to share this with your friends who might be looking for a reliable NAS device.
Did this help? Let us know!