You can block text messages from a specific number or contact on your Android device with a third-party solution. Just follow these steps.
Blocking Text Messages
Note: These steps are for the stock “Messages” app included with Android 7. Some carriers may include a different app for messaging.
- Open “Messages“.
- Press the “Menu” icon located at the upper-right corner.
- Select “Blocked contacts“.
- Tap “Add a number” to add a number you wish to block.
- If you ever wish to remove a number from the blacklist, return to the Blocked contacts screen, and select the “X” next to the number.
Owners of the numbers you have blocked will not receive any type of notification that they have been blocked. You would have to use an app like SwiftReply, mentioned below.
If your messaging app does not offer a Blacklist option, use Handcent.
- Download and install Handcent SMS for your text messaging needs. It’s available in the Google Play store.
- Since you’ll be using Handcent for text messaging, disable the notifications for your current text messaging app. Otherwise, you’ll get double notifications for text messages.
- Open Handcent then select the menu at the upper left corner of the screen, and switch from “Inbox” to “More“.
- Choose “Settings“.
- Scroll down and select “Manage blacklist“.
- Tap the plus (+) icon to add the phone number you wish to block. You can choose one from your contacts, call logs, or input the number directly.
Now all of the text messages from that person will be blocked and not visible in the Handcent app. You won’t get notifications you’ve received a message from the person either. If you ever want to unblock the person, return to the “Manage blacklist” screen, tap it, then select “Unblacklist“.
Some users have reported that the app “Private Space” works well for them.
Sending an Automatic Reply Using SwiftReply
If you want to let a person know they have been blocked, you will need to download an app that will automatically reply to text messages. I recommend SMS Auto Reply. The app will allow you to setup an auto reply for specific Contacts.