It feels great to see something growing under your care — especially green plants with colorful flowers or nutritious fruits! Want to experience this feeling of creativity, hard work, and caring for living things?
Start using any of the best gardening apps to grow plants and herbs in your garden, balcony, or backyard.
Smartphones have touched every aspect of our life. Gaming apps, note-taking apps, well-being apps, coloring apps, kids’ apps, etc., are familiar companions of everyday life.
How about getting real rural with soil, clay pots, fertilizers, seeds, fences, and water to grow plants wherever you get some free place? Smartphones can help you with that as well.
Find below the most comprehensive list of the best gardening apps for anyone with any level of gardening experience to start gardening right now!
Best Gardening Apps on App Store and Google Play
If you’re hunting for the best gardening apps, Planta must be your top choice. It comes with a super-intelligent AI algorithm to help you with the following gardening activities:
- Watering plants at the right time
- Separate important plants from weeds through the plant identification feature
- Built-in knowledgebase of plant medicine to treat sick plants
- Find out which plant is suitable for indoors and outdoors
You need to add your garden’s plants to the app to get expert knowledge of caring. Profiling a plant on the Planta app is easy. You need to take a clear picture of the plant using this app for gardeners, and the tool will take care of the rest.
Its built-in AI image processor and image identifier immediately identify the plant and create a profile for it in the app.
The app is free to download on App Store. You might be able to use some features for a limited time for free. However, it’s better to get a paid subscription ranging from $7.99 to $45.99 to enjoy the best benefits.
2. PlantIn: Plant ID, Identifier
PlantIn isn’t just a digital gardening app with the knowledge needed to grow a green and flowery garden. It also offers you in-app consultation with expert botanists. Its other useful features to help grow a garden are:
- Watering module to notify you to water a plan at the right time of the day
- Its AR light meter tells you which plant needs a brighter sport and which needs a shadier spot
- You can request personalized care plans for any plants, from common veggies to exotic flower plants
- The app will notify you of care plans
- Step-by-step guides on growing delicate plant species
3. LeafSnap-Plant Identification
LeafSnap is yet another popular app for gardening with AR and AI technologies. Suppose you go to a nursery to buy an exotic plant species. How do you confirm if you’re getting the right plant for the premium cost you pay? LeafSnap will help you.
It can now identify 90% of the plant species known to the botanists of this age. Apart from this, it can also help you to create a care plan for the plants in your garden.
The app will automatically remind you when to water, rotate, fertilize, harvest, mist, repot, and more.
4. Smart Plant & Tree Care
Smart Plant & Tree Care is an all-in-one gardening app backed by experts like local gardening centers, veteran gardeners, and botanists. It has a team of horticulturists who can help you digitally or by visiting the gardening site on demand.
Its key in-app functionalities as an app for gardeners are:
- Problem-solving content to prevent weeds, pests, and diseases
- Buy gardening supplies and plants online and pick them up when ready
- Buy collection-grade and exotic plants directly from Smart Plant Home
- Create an automated care calendar for all the plants in your garden by simply snapping them using the smartphone camera
The app offers free downloads. You can also use a minimal number of functionalities like plant identification for free. However, there are in-app purchases for premium support. These purchases range from $1.99 to $44.99.
iNaturalist helps you do gardening by connecting with other gardeners, biodiversity activists, and nature lovers who go out to collect data on the ecosystem. The app builds an extensive library of real-time data on various plant, insect, and animal species worldwide by cultivating experts.
This is a free app, and no in-app purchases as well. Some of its notable features are:
- Plant identification by a community of expert horticulturists, botanists, and gardeners
- Feedback on a gardening problem you’re facing from the iNaturalist community
- A rich collection of wild plant and animal habitats, scientific studies, etc.
- Available in many countries like Mexico, Colombia, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, etc.
6. Sun Seeker – Tracker & Compass
You need to plan a plant’s sapling or seed planting spot scientifically so that it gets maximum sunlight throughout the year. Sun Seeker app helps you with that without becoming a space scientist!
It utilizes advanced smartphone features like AR image processing, flat compass, and #D graphics to project sunlight in various spots of your garden.
Since the app offers premium features, you need to shell out $9.99 to download and use it. The good thing is, it’s a one-time purchase!
7. Garden Answers
Garden Answers is one of the best plant identification apps. It has a vast library of plants that can give instant information for up to 20,000 plants.
That’s not all! It has a search engine for plant disease-related questions. Using disease name or plant status keywords, you can search through 200,000 frequently asked questions on plant health.
8. iScape: Landscape Design
Simply growing a flowery and green garden isn’t enough. You need to plan the landscape appropriately to make the garden complementary to your entire house. Hence, it would be best to have a landscape designer who could bill you thousands of dollars for a few work hours.
Instead, be your landscape designer by using iScape. It’s one of the best outdoor landscaping tools used by expert gardeners, professionals, DIY homeowners, and landscaping agencies.
Its notable in-app features are:
- Finished landscape design visualizing tool
- Self-service landscape designing with 3D and 3D graphics rendering
- Share instantly with friends and family members
Some of its basic features are free for a limited period. However, you can extend its functionalities by buying a premium plan from $7.99 to $299.99.
9. Seed to Spoon – Growing Food
Seed to Spoon is a specialized gardening app that helps you grow food for home consumption if you have empty space in your home. It allows you to grow various veggies, fruits, and species effortlessly.
Its notable features are as follows:
- Grow more than 100 herbs, vegetables, and spices in the backyard, front yard, or balcony
- ChatGPT-based AI chatbot helps you to find answers to complex questions about gardening and plant care planning
- Planting calendars to plant the right seed in the correct month of the year for maximum yield of crop
- Shows sprouting date forecast
- Organic planting guides to defend saplings and grown-up plants from diseases, insects, etc.
- Blog posts and videos from a real-world Seed to Spoon garden in Oklahoma.
Download: App Store
10. Gardenia – Plant Organizer
Gardenia is just like a project management app, but your project is your garden consisting of hundreds of vegetable, fruit, herb, and flowering plants. It lets you organize tasks in boards, lists, etc. The app also shows several notifications at different times of the day according to the tasks you set.
It also comes with a built-in weather module. It’s not any usual weather app for your iPhone or iPad. It’s a gardening-oriented weather app module. The tool will show weather data related to gardening, like rain, humidity, sunlight, snowfall, etc.
Download: App Store
11. Garden Manager
If you’re in the Android ecosystem and looking for a Gardenia alternative, you can try out Garden Manager. This app for gardening comes with the following brilliant gardening features:
- Alarms for adding fertilizer, spraying pesticides, and watering the plant
- Click photos of your plants to create profiles
- Create a logbook for plant height and width
- Share achievements via social media platforms
- Look for and consult florists near you.
Download: Google Play
Best Gardening Apps: Reasons to Use
Veteran gardeners and rural farmers might make fun of you if you say using any gardening apps to plant seeds, track the growth of seedlings, plan water timings, etc.
However, such apps are beneficial in an urban setting. Find below some solid reasons to use any of the above apps for gardening:
- If you haven’t gone through the training of framing or gardening from school or family capacity, gardening in urban residences could be challenging. It would be best if you went through a learning curve before successfully and safely growing plants. Apps for gardeners can train you effortlessly.
- Gardening apps help you make a record book of your plants to manage their survival and growth efficiently.
- The best apps for gardening can also help you design your gardening in line with your home’s indoor and outdoor aesthetics.
- You spend less time on Google searches and more time on actually growing plants and vegetables.
- A few apps for gardeners can also answer questions about unknown diseases and the withering of the plants in your garden.
- Gardening apps can show you how to care for a specific plant species, especially if someone gifted you a costly orchid or bonsai.
Best Gardening Apps Final Words
Gardening is one of the best hobbies for busy and creative professionals. It helps you release stress and regenerate those neurotransmitters you use by coding programs, solving business problems, or designing media for websites.
Suppose you don’t know the gardening basics, no problem! All you need is to download any of the above apps for gardeners on your smartphone, go through some basic gardening lessons, and kickstart your successful gardening journey next spring.