In Windows 8, 7 and XP, you can set the Windows Firewall to block or unblock certain applications. Here’s how.
Windows 10, 8, & 7
- Open the “Control Panel“.
- Select “System and Security“.
- In the Windows Firewall section, select “Allow a program through Windows Firewall“.
- Unchecking the box to the left of the application name disallows it from accessing network resources, while checking it allows access.
- If the program you wish to block or unblock is not listed, you can click the “Allow another program…” button to add it. Choose the application in the list and select “Add“. If the program is not in this list, use the “Browse…” button to select the program file manually.
- Click Start and open the “Control Panel“.
- Select “Security Center“.
- In the “Manage security settings for” area, select “Windows Firewall“.
- Select the “Exceptions” tab.
- Check an application to allow access to the network, uncheck it to block access. If the program isn’t listed, select the “Add Program…” button to add it to the list.