The Roku 2 is an amazing piece of hardware with it’s ability to replace cable TV, all packed in a box that fits in the palm of your hand. As great as the device is, it’s not perfect. It freezes at times. There have been several occasions where mine has been stuck on a “retrieving” screen. Other times, the device won’t start properly.
When you have problems with the Roku 2, the best solution is usually a soft reset. If that doesn’t fix the issues, a factory hard reset will usually do the trick. Here’s how you can do both.
1. Find the Reset button on the back of the device. It’s located above the power port.
2. Using a paper clip, press the button, then release after about one second.
The device should reset successfully.
You can also reset using the remote control by pressing the following:
- Home 5 times
- Up 1 time
- Rewind 2 times
- Fast Forward 2 times
If a soft reset doesn’t fix your problem, a hard reset may be your only option. This will clear all data off the Roku 2 and reset it to factory default settings.
1. Remove all cables except the Power cord.
2. Using a paper clip, press and hold the Reset button on the back of the device for about 15 seconds.
3. Continue to hold the Reset button, then remove the Power cord from the back of the unit.
4. Release the Reset button, then plug all of the cords back into the device.
The Roku 2 should walk you through the setup process again.
You can also accomplish a hard reset by selecting Settings > Factory reset > Factory reset > Yes on the device’s menu.