The Apple Software Update kept appearing on my computer to remind me to update iTunes, QuickTime, and iCloud. I wanted to disable it, but I couldn’t figure out where or how it was running. I didn’t find it in my Startup folder or in the registry anywhere. Here is how you can prevent the Apple Software Update screen from appearing.
Windows 10, 8, 7, & Vista
- Click the Windows Start button in the lower-left corner and type task scheduler in the Start Search box. Open the “Task Scheduler“.
- Expand the “Task Schedule Library” section.
- Select the “Apple” folder.
- Right-click “AppleSoftwareUpdate” and select “Disable” or “Delete“.
You can also prevent automatic “App Updates Available” message from appearing in macOS.
- From the Finder, select the Apple Menu then choose “System Preferences…“.
- Choose “App Store“.
- Uncheck the “Automatically check for updates“. Alternately, you could deselect only the specific type of updates you would like to disable.
- From the Finder, open “Go” > “Utilities” > “Terminal“.
- Type the following, then press “Enter“:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate AutomaticDownload -boolean FALSE