Is McAfee Personal Firewall blocking a program from accessing the Internet? You may want to unblock applications such as your chat programs, email clients, or video games to access the Internet. Here’s where to find the setting to enable applications to connect to the Internet.
The tutorial is based on version 13.6 of McAfee Internet Security.
- Right-click the McAfee logo in the Windows Taskbar down the the time, then select “Change Settings” > “Firewall“.
- Select the “Internet Connections for Programs” option.
- Choose the program you wish to allow access, then select “Edit“. If the program is not listed, select the “Add” button, then select “Browse” to choose the application.
- In the “Access” section, select “Incoming and outgoing” to allow both incoming and outgoing traffic to the applications. Otherwise select “Outgoing Only” to allow only outbound traffic.
- For the drop-down menu “Use designated ports” should be sufficient to work with most apps. Otherwise, you can select “Open ports to Home and Work networks“, or “Open to all devices“.
- There is also a “Net Guard” section. This setting can block some traffic on certain apps. If you have problems with the application after setting all the items above, you may want to set “Net Guard” to “Off“.
- Select “Save“.
- Close McAfee Personal Firewall.
You’re set! The application should now be allowed to access the network through the firewall.
What is Net Guard?
It’s a layer of protection that McAfee provides where it monitors the connection and validates it against trusted IP address info. It has been known to cause problems with some applications.