So you have an Amazon Kindle Fire and wish to install the Google Chrome web browser on it? Well, that’s going to take just a bit of work. Amazon makes it a bit difficult to install other browsers on their tablets since they want you to be forced to use their pre-installed Silk browser. You won’t find any web browsers in the Amazon store.
Google doesn’t make it easy either. They only make their Android version of Chrome available via the Google Play store. Fortunately, there are third-party websites that allow you to download it separately. Just follow these steps and you’ll be off and running with Chrome on your Kindle Fire in no time.
- From the Fire, go to:
- HD8 & HD10 – “Home” > “Settings” > “Security” > “Apps From Unknown Sources” > “On“.
- HD6 – “Apps” > “Settings” > “Applications” > “Apps From Unknown Sources” > “On“.
- Kindle Fire 1 & 2 – “Settings” > “More” > “Device” > “Allow Installation of Applications” > “On“.
- Open the Silk browser on your Kindle and go to http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/chrome/.
- Select the download icon next to the version you wish to download. It should download right to the memory of your device.
- Open the notification area (top bar). It should show that the .APK file is downloading. Tap it once the download has finished.
- Select “Install“.
The Chrome browser should then install and be available to use on your Kindle Fire.
Why is the “Install” button grayed out?
Amazon released an update that does this sometimes. You can usually get around it by pressing the square button next to the circle home button. Then go back to the install screen. Doing that will light up the Install button.
Some people say that using the “Back” button instead of square then returning to the install screen works to light up the Install button.
Will this work on any version of the Kindle Fire?
Yes. It will work on the original Fire, as well as the HD and HDX models. Though if you have an older device, you may want to download an older version of Chrome as newer versions may not be as stable.
Can I trust this apkmirror website?
The site is run by the folks who created AndroidPolice. They are generally trusted by the Android community.
Will Chrome update automatically when new versions come out?
No. You will have to manually check the apkmirror website for updates and install them yourself.
Chrome crashes when I try to sign in. Why can’t I sign into Google Chrome on my Fire?
Unfortunately, this will be a problem without a workaround. You won’t be able to sign into Chrome using your Google account so you can sync all your stuff. However, you can still use the Chrome browser without signing in.