If your Apple iPad Mini is locked up and unresponsive, then you may need to try to do a soft or hard reset on the device to get it into working order again.
Steps to Soft Reset the iPad Mini
These steps will force a restart of the device.
- Hold down the “Sleep/Wake/Power” button until the red slider appears.
- Drag the slider to turn the device off.
- Press and hold the “Sleep/Wake/Power” button until the Apple logo appears to turn the iPad Mini back on.
If the above steps don’t work, then try these steps.
- To hard reset the iPad Mini, just hold down the “Sleep/Wake” button and the “Home” at the same time for about ten seconds until the Apple logo appears. The device should then boot normally.
Steps to Hard Reset the iPad Mini
Factory Reset iPad Mini From Device
- From the Home screen, navigate to “Settings” > “General” > “Reset“.
- Tap the button labeled “Erase All Content and Settings“.
- A box will pop up to confirm, so press the “Erase” button.
- The device will restart, and when it turns back on the device will be back to factory settings and data.
Factory Reset iPad Mini From iTunes
- On the iPad, look under “Settings” > “iCloud” and ensure that “Find My iPad” is set to “Off“.
- Connect the iPad Mini to your computer and launch iTunes.
- Select the device icon, located toward the upper-left corner of the iTunes window.
- Select the “Summary” option on the left pane.
- Choose the “Restore iPad…” button.
- Choose whether you want to “Back Up” or “Don’t Back Up” your device.
- Select “Restore“.
- The iPad will then be restored. Once completed, you will have the option to “Set Up as New iPad” or “Restore From a Backup“.
Why is my “Restore iPad” button grayed out?
A sync or download may be in progress. Wait for the sync or download to finish, then see if the button lights up.