Learn how to soft or hard reset the Moto X4. A soft reset may be necessary if you are experiencing problems with your phone. A factory hard reset may be necessary if you are changing ownership of the phone or if the phone has malfunctioned in a way that cannot be fixed. There are two different methods for performing a factory reset.
- If your device is frozen and unresponsive, you can soft reset it by pressing and holding the “Power” button for about 10 seconds.
A soft reset will not erase data from the device.
Factory Hard Reset
A factory hard reset will reset the device back to factory default settings and clear all data from the device.
Option 1 – From Device Startup
- Power the device off.
- Hold the “Volume Down” buttons on the right side while pressing “Power” to turn on the device.
- Release the “Volume Down” button when the Boot Mode Selection Menu appears.
- Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to “Recovery Mode“. Press the “Power” button to make the selection.
- The recovery screen appears. From the recovery screen, press and hold “Power“, then press “Volume Up” for two seconds. Then release “Volume Up” after 2 seconds. If the device restarts, try steps 1 through 5 again.
- Continue to hold “Power” until the Recovery Menu appears.
- Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to “wipe data / factory reset“, then press “Power” to select it.
- Choose “Yes“.
- The Moto X4 will then start the factory reset process. Once completed, you will be prompted to select “Reboot“.
Option 2 – Android Menus
- Open the “Settings” app.
- Select “Backup & Reset“.
- Tap “Factory data reset“.
- Select “Reset phone“.
- Choose “Erase everything“.
The Moto X4 will complete the factory reset. All data and settings will be cleared. If you wish to restore data, most of it, like the items from your Contacts or Calendar should be re-synced from your Google account and your apps (even the ones you paid for) can be re-downloaded from the Google Play.