Android devices sometimes makes some strange suggestions for misspelled words. I know that I have sent off plenty of messages that were supposed to contain shorthand words that instead ended up making no sense. This motivated me to disable the auto-correction feature. It’s kind of tough, because it comes in handy at times, but in the end it does more harm than good.
Enable or Disable Spell Check
- From the Home screen, select the app drawer, then select “Settings“.
- Tap “System“. (Skip this step on some versions)
- Select “Language & keyboard“.
- Select “Virtual keyboard“.
- Choose the keyboard you are using. It’s normally named “Android“, “Google“, “gboard“, “Swype“, etc.
- Select “Text correction“.
- Enable or disable the options you want:
- Auto capitalization
- Double-space period
- Show suggestion strip
- Next-word suggestions
This post applies to Android OS Oreo.