Change User Agent in Google Chrome

You can change the User Agent String (UAString) in Google Chrome for your desktop computer by using these steps. When you browse a website using any web browser such as Google Chrome, a user agent string is read from your browser so it can determine how to render the page. For example, if you are browsing from your Android phone, by default it may have a user agent string like the following:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

A website that reads this string may decide to display a mobile version of the site or a version that is specific to Android. Google Chrome for Windows has a default string that looks like this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.117 Safari/537.36

You can change this user agent string if you are developing a website and wish to test how your site looks under different strings. You may also change it if you wish to view the mobile version of a website from your desktop. Here’s how it’s done.

1. Select the Menu button in the upper-right corner, then select Tools > Developer tools. You can also get to this screen by pressing Ctrl + Shift + I for Windows and Linux or Command + Option + I for Mac OS X.

Chrome Developer Tools option

2. Select the “Show console” icon. Then select “Emulation” > “User Agent“. From there you can check the “Spoof user agent” box, then choose the User Agent you wish to use. You can free text the string by selecting “Other“.

Change User Agent on Google Chrome

 

FAQ

There are plugins that change the User Agent string. Do I need to download and install those?

No. There is no need for a plugin. Just use the steps as I have outlined above.

Comments

  1. john says

    Mike, it is not a default setting for chrome, so you need to open the developer tools for each tab/window that you are using. i hope that solves/answers your question :)

    My problem is getting some sites to recognize landscape mode, it doesn’t seem to make any difference which settings i choose in the accelerometer. If anyone has a solution i would be most grateful!

  2. Mike says

    I followed the directions above and it worked great – but only for the 1st website I went to after changing the user agent to “Android Mobile”. Any other websites I tried afterward were still desktop versions (but the new settings were still in place). Any thoughts on how I can make the change stick? I got my Mom an HP Stream 8 for Christmas, and the 200MB data/month that comes with it free will be all she can afford, so I’m trying to help her stretch it out by having the tablet request mobile versions of websites. Thanks for any info!

  3. Mike says

    I tried to do this for my Mom’s new Windows 8 tablet so that it would request mobile websites and use less data. It works just fine, but only for the first website I pull up while I have the developer tools and all that open. If I go to any other site, it reverts back to standard sites even though user agent remains set to “android mobile”. Any ideas on how I can make it continue working? Thanks for any help.

  4. david says

    As above, went through so many different pages until I found one that worked. THANK YOU so much.

  5. Rodney Dickson says

    SO MANY OTHER WEBSITES had the wrong steps to reproduce this. I’m so glad you created the right steps…thank you for this

  6. Greg says

    Fantastic! Thanks for posting this updated information! Many of the other sites had the old way from previous versions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>