There seems to be a chronic problem in Microsoft Windows 10 where the sound speaker icon disappears from the systray and notification area of the taskbar. Follow these steps to try to bring it back.
Method 1 – Check Settings
- Right-click the time in the lower-right corner of the screen, then choose “Properties“.
- Ensure the “Volume” icon is set to “On“.
If the “Off” setting for “Volume” is grayed out, proceed to Method 2.
Method 2 – Restart Explorer
- Hold CTRL and SHIFT while right-clicking the taskbar. A menu should appear.
- Select “Exit Explorer“.
- Hold the Windows Key while pressing “R” to bring up the Run dialog.
- Type “explorer“, then press “Enter“.
Now see if the speaker icon has returned.
Method 3 – Registry Fix
A setting in the Windows Registry may be causing a problem with your notification icons. Try to make the change manually using these steps.