A problem may occur in Microsoft Windows 10 where the system icons such as the Speaker, Network, or Power icons are grayed out or missing from the Taskbar Notification Area (Systray). The options to enable them in the Taskbar Properties screen may also be grayed out. Try the following steps to try to bring the icons back to working as they should.
Fix 1 – Scan for Hardware Changes
- Open “Control Panel“.
- Choose “Hardware and Sound” > “Device Manager“.
- Expand the “Batteries” selection.
- Right-click on “Microsoft AC Adapter“, then click “Uninstall“.
- Click “OK” when you see the warning message to continue uninstalling the driver.
- Right-click any item listed, then choose “Scan for hardware changes“.
Check to see if the icons have returned.
Fix 2 – Registry Fix
- Hold down the Windows Key and press the “R” key the bring up the Run window.
- Type “regedit“, then select “OK“.
- Navigate through the registry to the following location:
- Local Settings
- Look for two values. One named “iconstreams” and “PastIconStream“. Right-click and select “Delete” each value to remove them from the registry.
- Close the registry editor and restart the computer. Hopefully, your System icons have reappeared in the Taskbar Notification Area (Systray).