Meet Now is a new Skype feature that allows users to quickly host or join video meetings. But there’s more to Meet Now than meets the eye.
In order to host a conference, you need to use the Skype app or Skype for Web. Meet Now makes it possible for non-Skype users to join that meeting. You don’t even need to have a Skype account or install the program on your device.
Meet Now generates an invite link that can be shared with other people. Participants only need to click on that link to join the meeting.
If they installed Skype, they’ll join the meeting directly via the app. Otherwise, they’ll join the meeting via the browser.
How to Use Meet Now in Skype
- Launch Skype and click on the Meet Now button (left pane). You have two options: either host a meeting or join one.
- Wait until Skype creates your meeting room and generates the meeting link.
- To invite other participants, hit the Share invite button.
- You can then set up the audio or video meeting settings.
- Click on the Start call button to launch the meeting.
Actions Available During the Meeting
Participants can use a variety of options and actions during the call. For example, they can record the call, raise their hand, or see who else is participating.
Users can also share the Meet Now link and invite more people, or chat with other participants.
Meet Now in the Windows 10 Taskbar
The Meet Now icon is also visible in the taskbar. This allows users to quickly click on the icon and host or join new meetings. You don’t need to sign up or download anything. Just click on the icon and you’ll be sent straight to your virtual meeting room.
Can I Remove Meet Now from Windows 10?
If you’re not going to use the new meeting feature, you can hide it or turn it off. Meet Now is now part of Windows 10 and Skype and you cannot permanently remove it from your system. You can only hide it or disable it.
Use the taskbar icon
Right-click on the Meet Now taskbar icon and select the Hide option.
- You can also navigate to Settings → Personalization → Taskbar.
- Then click on Turn system icons on or off.
- Locate Meet Now and toggle off the option.
Use the Registry Editor
- Type regedit in the Windows Search bar and press Enter.
- Navigate to this path:
- Right-click on the Explorer folder.
- Create a new key by selecting New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
- Name the new key HideSCAMeetNow.
- Then double-click on it and change its value from zero to 1.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take full effect.
What Users Says About Meet Now?
Windows 10 users didn’t really welcome Meet Now with arms wide open. On the contrary. They labeled the new addition as another Microsoft attempt to bite into the video conference and remote work software pie.
What do you think about Meet Now? Are you planning to use it on a regular basis? Or did you already hide it? Let us know in the comments below.