By default, Microsoft Windows 10 hides certain files from view when you explore them on your hard drive. This protects important files from being deleted so that the system isn’t damaged. If you’re the geeky type, you’ll want to be able to view all files all the time. Follow these steps to show hidden files.
Option 1 – From File Explorer
- Select the “Start” button, then choose “File Explorer“.
- Make sure the menu bar is expanded. You can toggle the menu bar by selecting the ^ at the upper right portion of the window.
- Select the “View” tab.
- Check the “Hidden items” check box to view hidden items.
- If you need more file viewing options, select “Options” > “View“.
Option 2 – From Control Panel
- Right-click the “Start” button, then select “Control Panel“.
- Go to “Appearance and Personalization“, then select “File Explorer Options“.
- Click the “View” tab.
- Scroll down a bit and change the “Hidden files and folders” setting to “Show hidden files, folders, and drives“. Optionally, you may wish to uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files” box as well.