If you wish to change or disable the text message ringtone on your Android device, you can do so with these steps.
Set Ringtone for All Text Messages
Note: Some Android devices may have different apps included by the carrier for text messaging. These instructions are for the default Android Messaging app.
- From the Home screen, tap the app slider, then open the “Messaging“ app.
- From the main list of message threads, tap “Menu” .
- In the “Notifications” area, select “Sound“, then choose the tone for text messages or choose “None“. You may also select “Vibrate” to turn vibration on or off.
Set Ringtone for Specific Contact
If you want to have more features, like the ability to set a sound to a specific contact, you will need to seek an app in the Google Play app store. I recommend Handcent. It’s loaded with tons of features and is easier to use than the default text messaging app.
Once Handcent is downloaded, follow these steps to set a text message ringtone to a specific contact.
- Open Handcent.
- Open a message thread for a person you wish to set a custom notification ringtone for. If they aren’t listed, simply send them a message.
- Tap the “Menu” button at the upper-right corner.
- Select “Personalization“.
- Choose “Notification Settings“.
- Select “Notification sound“.
- Choose the text message ringtone for your contact.
If you don’t like Handcent, another great app called ChompSMS allows the same functionality.