If you have a problem with Microsoft Outlook 2016 (365) crashing when you try to start it, try the following steps.
- Visit Microsoft’s website to obtain and write down the newest “Build Number” number for Office.
- Hold down the Windows Key, then press “R” to bring up the Windows Run dialog box.
- Type the following, then press “Enter“:
%programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.buildnumber
where “(buildnumber)” is the build number you wrote down in step 1.
For example, in my case, the current build was 9126.2259, so I typed the following:
%programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.9126.2257
- When prompted, select the options to “Repair” Office.
- Hold down the “CTRL” key on your keyboard while opening Outlook. Hopefully, Outlook will at least open in Safe Mode.
- Select “File” > “Manage Add-Ins“.
- Now you need to disable plugins to see if they are the root of your issue. If any add-ins are enabled, select the “Disable this add-in” button.
- Click “Close“, then close Outlook.
- Restart Outlook normally. Hopefully it starts and you are problem free.
These steps have fixed Outlook a few times for me and hopefully they help you too.