Learn how to install the Microsoft Word Equation Editor and you’ll be able to make math equations within Word documents.
For Word 365, 2021, 2019, 2016 or 2013, the Equation Editor should be available by default. Simply select the “Insert” tab and choose “Equation” under the “Symbols” section.
If you still do not see the Equation option, you may have to go to “File” > “Options” > “Customize Ribbon“. Select “All Commands” in the “Choose commands from” menu, then add “Symbols” to the tabs listed on the right side of the screen.
You could also take the lazy route, and select “Reset“, to set the ribbon or tabs back to their default settings.
Word 2010 & 2007
Windows 8, 7, & Vista
- Open “Control Panel“.
- Select “Uninstall a program” in the “Programs” section. (Don’t worry, we’re not going to uninstall anything.)
- Select your installation of Microsoft Word or Microsoft Office in the list and select the “Change” button.
- Choose “Add or Remove Features” and select “Continue“.
- Select the plus sign next to “Office Tools“, then select “Equation Editor” > “Run from My Computer“.
- Select “Continue” and the Equation Editor will be take a few minutes to install. When complete, select “Close” and it will be available under the “Insert” menu.
- Go to “Control Panel“.
- Double-click “Add/Remove Programs“.
- Select once on the “Microsoft Office 2010/2007” entry and click “Change“.
- Select “Add or Remove Features“, and click “Continue“.
- Click the plus sign next to “Office Tools“.
- Click “Equation Editor“, and select “Run from My Computer“.
- Click “Continue“. Click “Close” when the install is complete. The Equation Editor will be available under the “Insert” menu.
Why is the equation editor selection grayed out?
You may have saved your document in a format that does not support the Equation Editor. Try selecting “File” > “Save As…” and save the document as a “.docx” file or “File” > “Convert” to update the document to the latest format.
Alternatively, you can create a new copy of the document. Select “Save As” and then choose the location and the folder where you want to save the new copy. Type a new name for the document in the “File name” box, and click Word Document in the “Save as” type list. Make sure the checkbox next to “Maintain compatibility with Previous versions of Word” is unchecked.
maike tiki says
I enable my equation editor already.
Comron Nouri says
After the automatic update, in my Microsoft Word, Insert tab, Equation is not active anymore. It used to be active and I could insert an equation by pressing [Alt]+[=]. But it no longer works.
The above instructions do not help me because they are either for older versions of Windows or they are not addressing this issue.
I am a Math/Physics teacher and I use this feature a lot for my work.
I appreciate your help in this regard.
Dr Pooja Gupta says
Thanku so much its help me
that was really helpful thank you 😅
Usman Tariq says
very helpful. its good
“Equation” does NOT highlight. It shows up on the “Insert” tab ribbon and above “Symbols”. “Symbol” is highlighted but “Equation” is not highlighted and therefore can’t select it.
This did not help. I want to install the old equation editor in a new version of word as the new equation editor is junk and unprofessional
It is really helpful, thank you.
This article helped me and saved a lot of time.
Divya Sahney says
Thanks a lot it was indeed very helpful.
Very good clear and concise post.