If your Apple iPhone or iPad screen is frozen or locked up, it’s not fun. Normally you can simply pull a battery from a device if it locks up. Apple devices don’t have a removable battery though. Instead, you’ll have to try these options.
Try to Power Off
- If a force quit does not work, turn the iPhone off and turn it on again. To do this, press and hold the “Sleep/Wake” button for a few seconds until a red slider appears, and then slide the slider to power the device off. Once powered down, press and hold the “Sleep/Wake” button to turn the device back on.
If all of the above didn’t do the trick, force a reset. Forcing a reset will not delete data from the device.
iPhone X & 8
- Quick press “Volume Up“.
- Quick press “Volume Down“.
- Press and hold Sleep“/”Wake” button until the Apple logo appears.
- Press and hold both the “Sleep/Wake” +”Volume Down” button for at least ten seconds.
iPhone 6 and older
- Other versions may require holding “Sleep/Wake” + “Home“.
Hopefully, one of these options have worked for you and your Apple iPhone is now working again. If not, you may need to try a restore using iTunes, which will wipe all data from the device. Data can usually be re-synced from your computer once restored..
My iPhone/iPad won’t turn on. What do I do?
Ensure your device is plugged into the wall using the adapter and cable so that you get the most charge going. Wait about 10 minutes, then try the steps above.