If you are experiencing problems with your Google Pixel smartphone and need to reset it, here’s how it’s done.
A soft reset will free the device from being frozen. It will not erase data from the device
Press and hold the “Power” button, located on the top right edge of the device for about 15 seconds until the screen changes. You should then be able to power the device on again.
A factory hard reset will set the Pixel back to factory default settings and data. All data on the device will be erased.
Option 1 – Phone Menus
- Starting from the Home screen, swipe the app drawer up and choose “Settings” > “Backup & reset” > “Factory data reset” > “RESET PHONE“.
Option 2 – Hardware Buttons
- Power the Pixel off by pressing and holding the “Power” button, then tapping “Power off“.
- With the device off, press and hold the “Power” and “Volume Down” buttons simultaneously.
- An Android logo should appear. Use the volume buttons to toggle the highlighted selection to “Recovery Mode“, then press “Power” to make that selection.
- Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to “Wipe data/factory reset“.
- Select “Yes“.
- The device should complete the hard reset. Select “Reboot” once complete.
These instructions apply to both the regular and XL versions of the Google Pixel.