Apache is a popular open-source Web server that currently powers more than half of all websites. Originally developed by programmers who were using a Web server daemon called httpd, developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA). These programmers fixed errors in httpd and modified it by releasing a series of software patches. Over time, they had … [Read more...] about Apache
Technipages Explains Apache
Apache is an HTTP based server development and management software which is currently free and open source. Apache handles Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP) data requests through the Universal Resource Locator(URL). URLs are simply the name of a website that clients enter into Web browers to locate a Web page.The HTTP protocol is the internet standard data transfer protocol for Web pages, so when URL requests are made to an Apache server, the Apache server will handle the HTTP request and return the requested Web pages.
Apache can be used alongside with plugins or add-on extensions to improve the performance. Beyond server development, Apache can also be used to host websites
Its first release was on the 25th of August, 1995. Before this, initial development began in February 1993, the aim of the eight pioneering engineers was to enhance the NCSA(National Center for Supercomputing Applications) HTTPd daemon, their collision was what formed the apache group now The Apache Software Foundation.
There have been several notions as to the coinage of the word ”Apache”; however the foundation claims that “Apache” was chosen out of respect for the various Native American nations known for their endurance and intelligence in war planning.
Common Uses of Apache
- Apache being open-source boasts of a vibrant and teeming community of dedicated programmers, ever ready to tackle challenges.
- Apache developers always tackle security breaches as soon as they are reported.
- The selling point of Apache is its ability to use different add-ons and plugins extensions which improves the performance of the software.
Common Misuses of Apache
- Apache coinage for The Apache Software Foundation was influenced because the software started with patches
- Apache is not one of the most used software for the development of softwares.