If you’re like me, you probably feel the need to post a comment on YouTube if you really liked the video you watched.
But there have been a few times when my comments failed to post. If you’re experiencing the same issue, take a look at the solutions I used to get rid of this problem. Hopefully, some of them will work for you as well.
What to do if Your Comment Won’t Post on YouTube
Let the Video Play for 30 Seconds
Interestingly enough, many users noticed that if they let the video play for 30 seconds, they could then post a comment. It seems that YouTube uses this strategy to reduce the number of spam comments.
Check if the Reply Limit has been Reached
Did you know there’s a 500 comment reply limit on YouTube? In other words, when a comment approached the 500 replies, users won’t be able to add any more replies to it. Well, that’s a feature that content creators really hate, especially when their videos go viral.
⇒ Fun Fact: YouTube also has a playlist video limit of 5,000. But we don’t think the number of users reaching that limit is too high.
Use Youtube’s Original Format Home Page
- Click on your channel icon.
- Select Settings.
- Then click on View additional/ advanced features.
- Click on the YouTube logo.
- You should now see the home page in the original format.
- Now, search for the video you want to comment on.
- Click on that video but don’t open it in a new tab.
- Try to add a comment now to check if it works.
Confirm Your Channel is Not For Kids
Some users managed to solve this problem by confirming their channel was not for kids.
- Launch YouTube and log in to your account.
- Navigate to YouTube Studio.
- Then go to Settings.
- Click on Channel.
- And go to Advanced Settings.
- Locate the following option: No, set this channel as not made for Kids.
- Confirm this information about your channel. Check if you can post a comment now.
Disable Your Extensions and Clear the Cache
Maybe one of the extensions you installed on your browser is preventing you from posting comments on YouTube.
- Click on your browser menu.
- Select Extensions/ Add-ons. Or click on More tools and then click on Extensions (depending on your browser).
- Once the list of extensions is visible, go ahead and turn off all the add-ons.
- Refresh your browser and try to comment again.
If that did not work, maybe your browser cache is to blame.
- Click again on your browser menu.
- Go to History.
- Then select Clear browsing data.
- Select the time range and then hit the Clear data button.
- Check if you can post comments on YouTube.
Turn Off Your VPN
If you’re using a VPN to access geo-restricted content, you can be sure YouTube won’t like that. That could be another reason why you can’t add comments.
Disable your VPN or any other programs you might be using to hide your real IP address. Check if this was the solution to your problem.
Use a Different Browser
If nothing worked, maybe you need to use a different browser. Check if the comment problem persists on a different browser.