It’s easy to go on a downloading frenzy and clog the memory of your Kindle Fire with apps you no longer need. Find out how to uninstall apps from Kindle Fire with these steps.
Apps you have installed that did not come pre-installed can be removed with these steps.
- Select “Apps” from the Home screen.
- Tap “Device“.
- Tap and hold the app you wish to remove until a menu appears above the icon, then select “Remove from Device“.
- Select “OK” to confirm app removal, and the app is gone.
- Tap the settings gear on the Home screen, then tap “More.
- Select “Applications“.
- Set the filter to “All Applications“, then select the app you wish to uninstall.
- Tap Uninstall.
To uninstall apps that are in the cloud and show on your Kindle, login to your Amazon account and visit the Manage Your Apps page. Select the “Actions” menu next to the app you wish to remove, then select “Delete this app“.
Note: You may have to restart the device or for a full sync for the app to disappear from your device.
Pre-installed Apps (Root Required)
Apps like Facebook, IMDB, Pulse and Audible come pre-installed on the Amazon Kindle Fire and cannot be removed without gaining root access. I would suggest not rooting the device unless you are technically skilled and know what you are doing. If you want to take it on, see the post at PC World titled How to Root Your Kindle Fire to learn how, then follow the steps below. Be aware that rooting disables some features like streaming video from Amazon, so you may want to gain root access, perform these steps, then unroot the device.
- Download the Titanium Backup APK file and save it to the memory of the device.
- Download and install ES File Explorer from the Amazon Appstore.
- Open ES File Explorer and navigate to the SD card. You should be able to select the Titanium Backup APK file you saved in step 1 to install it.
- Open Titanium Backup. Tap Yes to grant Superuser access.
- Select the Backup/Restore option at the top of the screen, then select the app you wish to remove.
- Select “Backup” if you wish to make a backup of the app before you remove it. Tap “Un-install” to remove the app.
- Select “Yes” to confirm your selection and the app will be uninstalled from the Kindle Fire.
This tutorial applies to the original Kindle Fire, as well as the HD and HDX models.