When attempting to install a printer in Microsoft Windows, I was greeted with an error that said:
“Unable to install printer. Another printer or printers share with this name already exists. please use another name for the printer.”
I received this error despite the fact that there was no other printer using the name I specified.
For me, this message appeared because somewhere in the Windows Registry was a reference to that printer name. I had to remove the registry entry using these steps.
- Hold the Windows Key and press “R“.
- Type “regedit“, then press “Enter“.
- Navigate to the following location:
- Look for the registry key that has the value of the printer name you were trying to use. Right-click the key, then delete it.
- Close the “Registry Editor“.
- Select “Start“, type “services.msc“, then press “Enter“.
- Stop and restart the “Print Spooler“.
Now attempt to add the printer again. You should be able to use the name you desired without the error message appearing.