You may want to learn how to soft or hard reset the Amazon Kindle Fire if are experiencing problems with the device. Just follow these steps.
A soft reset will simply restart the Kindle Fire without affecting the data on the device. Perform a soft reset using these steps if the Fire is frozen or not responding.
5th through 7th Generation Models (HD8 & HD10)
- Press and hold the “Volume Down” and “Power” buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds until the device shuts off.
1st – 4th Generation Models (HD & HDX)
- Press and hold the and “Power” button for 10 to 20 seconds until the device shuts off.
A hard reset will reset your Kindle Fire back to factory default settings and clear all data from the memory of the device. Ensure your Kindle Fire has at least a 30% battery charge level before performing these steps.
3rd – 7th Generation Models
Go to “Settings” > “Device Options” > “Reset to Factory Defaults” > “Reset”
- Starting with the Kindle Fire off, press and hold “Volume Down” and “Power” simultaneously.
- The Amazon system recovery screen should appear. Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to “wipe data/factory reset“.
- Press the “Power” button to choose the selection.
- Use the volume buttons to toggle the selection to “Yes — delete all user data“.
- Press “Power“.
1st & 2nd Generation Models
Go to settings gear > “More…” > “Device” > “Reset to Factory Defaults” > “Erase everything“