Sometimes the screen on the Amazon Kindle Fire will rotate annoyingly when you’re trying to read. Fortunately you can lock the screen in place and disable the screen rotation.
- On the Kindle Fire HD and HDX models, access the quick menu from the Home screen by sliding down the bar at the top of the screen. On the original Fire, tap the gear in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- On newer models like the HD8 and HD10, select the “Auto-Rotate” option to toggle the setting as desired.
Open “Settings” > “Display” > “When Device is Rotated“, then choose the desired setting:
- Rotate the contents of the screen
- Stay in current orientation
- On older models, tap the “Locked“/”Unlocked” option to toggle the setting. When it says “Unlocked“, screen rotation is enabled.
When it says “Locked“, screen rotation is disabled.
Why won’t my Kindle Fire screen rotate at all?
If you are using a case, make sure that isn’t the problem. Many cases on the Kindle Fire cause the rotational sensor to not work properly.