Android app files can come via an APK file. You can install APK files on the Amazon Kindle Fire tablet by enabling a setting. Just follow these steps.
Note: Be careful about where you have obtained the APK file. Files that come from non-legitimate sources may be corrupted or contain viruses. Please know what you are doing before you proceed.
- From the Fire, go to one of the following locations depending on your device:
- 5th to 8th Generation Devices – “Settings” > “Security” > “Apps from Unknown Sources“.
- 3rd and 4th Generation Devices – “Settings” > “Applications” > “Apps From Unknown Sources“
- First and Second Generation Devices – “Settings” > “More” > “Device” > “Allow Installation of Applications” and ensure it’s set to “On“.
- Open the Kindle Fire web browser and download the APK file. You can also transfer APK files from your computer by connecting the Kindle Fire to the computer with a USB cable.
- Open the notification area (top bar). It should show that the .APK file is downloading. Tap it once the download has finished.
- Select “Install“.
Why is the “Install” button grayed out?
Amazon released an update that does this sometimes. You can usually get around it by pressing the square button next to the circle home button. Then go back to the install screen. Doing that will light up the Install button.
Some people say that using the “Back” button instead of square then returning to the install screen works to light up the Install button.