Although the Jira app is new, it has quickly become one of the best apps for setting reminders and notifications in Slack groups. Not only does the Jira app notify you when specific topics are brought up in conversations, but it also allows you to post summaries of discussions involving a particular issue.
Adding Jira Reminders App
Before you can set up Jira reminders in Slack groups, you have to first download Jira and Slack apps.
- First Log into your Slack App on your device as an administrator,
- After that, click on the App Directory.
- Then click Find new apps or Find new add-ons from the left-hand side of the page.
- Search for Jira Reminders.
- Select Try free to begin a new trial or Buy now to purchase a license for Jira Reminders.
- Download and install the Jira Reminder App.
Set Up Your Reminders
Once installed, you can now use the Jira Reminders app. From the Jira Add a Reminder page that appears, do the following:
- Under Choose a Jira Project, select Slack App (SLAC).
- Choose any of the options provided under What issues should we include.
- Select days when prompted with What days should your reminders be sent.
- Under What time on those days, you can choose any time of the day that best suits your reminder notification.
- Choose the channel in your Slack account that you want the reminder notification to be displayed in Which channel should we send out the notification.
- Lastly, click on the Add button to set the reminder.
Based on your preference, you can set as many reminders as you’d like. Simply select Add New Reminder and follow the steps above to set another one.
How to Integrate Jira into Slack
Jira provides you with robust workflow and active project tracking. So, if your team uses Jira, you can integrate the Jira app into your Slack account to stay updated with your team. You can decide to integrate any of the following Jira Apps into your Slack account.
You can integrate the Jira Cloud app into your Slack account. Doing so will activate the Jira bot. The Jira Cloud app integration can allow you to send customizable notifications and use slash commands to manage issues in your Slack account. Take the following steps to integrate Jira Cloud in Slack.
- Visit the Jira Cloud page in Slack App Directory.
- Next, click on the Add to Slack button on the page.
- Choose the Slack workspace you want to authorize for Jira Cloud.
- Click on the Authorize button to finalize integration.
The Jira bot will send you a confirmation message to let you know that you have successfully integrated the Jira Cloud into your Slack account. Now that you are connected to the app, you only have to invite Jira bot to any of your desired channels on Slack or simply type in the command /Jira connect (your Jira URL).
Jira Server Alerts
To integrate the Jira Server Alert App into your Slack account, you have to take the following steps.
- Go to the Slack App Directory, and search for Jira Server Alert.
- Click on the Add to Slack option below the Jira icon on the page.
- Next, choose a channel where you want the Jira notification to show up.
- Click on Add Jira Integration, and then copy the webhook URL to your Jira account.
- Click on Systems > Create a Webhook in the admin menu. You will see the webhook creation form. In the space provided, enter a name, e.g., Slack, and paste the webhook URL in the required area.
- Under Events, choose what you will like to receive notification for.
- Lastly, click on the Create button — and you are done!
The Jira Reminder app is largely preferred over any other reminder app available, especially when it comes to receiving timely notifications for specific issues.
Including the app into your Slack experience will help both you and your team stay on top of projects and keep track of due dates about issues before they are overdue. The Jira Reminder app can also provide you with a daily or weekly summary of Jira activities in your Slack account.
You can integrate any of the Jira Apps discussed above into your Slack account and enjoy unlimited reminder notifications.