I recently experienced a problem with my Google Pixel where the Settings app would crash every time I plugged the device in. It would throw an error that said “Process com.android.settings stopped unexpectedly. Try again.” The only option is to “Force Close” .
Since the settings app is ultimately the thing that’s crashing here, it will need to be reset. That means you’ll lose a few custom settings such as your wallpaper. Follow these steps to solve the problem.
If you can still somehow access “Settings”, try these steps first.
- Select “Settings“.
- Choose Apps.
- Ensure that “All apps” is selected in the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down and select “Storage“.
- Select “Clear data“.
Use the Android ADB tools on a PC to clear settings data.
- Download and unzip the Android ADB tools on a PC.
- Enable Developer Mode on your Android device.
- Connect your device to the computer using a USB cable.
- From a command line, use ADB by issuing the following command, then pressing “Enter“:
adb shell pm clear com.android.settings
Now you should be able to use your Android device again without crashes when plugging it in or setting USB settings.